We are seeking a Digital Petrographer to join our Geological Operations Department.
Geological Operations provides Saudi Aramco’s exploration and development program with specialized geological solutions and operational support. The focus of our digital petrographer is the digital analysis of geological imagery data to provide support for geological studies and operational decisions.
Your primary role will be analyzing physical samples (core, cuttings and outcrop) and the acquisition and QC’ing of their digital images, including petrographic slides, scanning electron microscopy, 3D X-ray tomography and digital rock analysis as well as orthoscopic and conoscopic observations. The primary interest is an ability to assess and integrate internal rock fabric (structural, physical properties), diagenetic history, and provenance to support reservoir characterization and calibration of rock attributes. Integration of results with core analysis data, SEM, XRD, XRF, radiometric dating, and biostratigraphy, to provide analysis of well data in terms of facies, sedimentary architecture, isopach, depositional environment etc. You will also mentor co-workers and young professionals in applying petrographical principles to wider geological understanding.
This position based in Dhahran offers a unique opportunity to work in an operational environment on computational petrography supported by industry-leading laboratory and supercomputing resources.
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in geology, petroleum engineering, geophysics, or physics. An advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience, including at least five years on challenging petrography and digital imaging issues, preferably related to reservoir evaluation and/or flow simulation.
- Proven record of accomplishment in a relevant discipline as evidenced by previous work such as publications in the peer-reviewed scientific literature/conferences, etc.
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative imagery data analysis, including pore-scale modeling and the acquisition, QC and use of core-derived petrophysical properties (special and standard) is desirable.
- Other desirable skills and experience include hands-on involvement with advanced image analysis tools, programming experience, expertise in the machine learning, and application of AI technologies for imagery data interpretation, geological software skills, and core-to-wireline log data integration and interpretation.
Duties & responsibilities
You are expected to be able to perform the following:
- Perform digital analysis of geological imagery data to provide support for geological studies and operational decisions.
- Select rock samples to characterize rock heterogeneity.
- Interpret slides, slide quality control, supervision of digital imaging and the interpretation of digital results.
- QCing, processing and performing 2D and 3D image analysis and data integration.
- Calibration with lab results; e.g., CCAL, SCAL, SEM, XRD, etc.
- Interpretation of rock properties.
- Develop pore-scale numerical simulations and structural model development.
- Collaborate with other team members within a multidisciplinary group.
- Prepare/review reports.
- Ongoing collaboration with industry leaders on the evolution of new petrographic imaging.
How to apply
If you believe you meet the requirements for this role, please contact us with your CV and state AAS - “Job Title” in the subject.