The Charterer’s core responsibility is to secure vessels to transport oil products in the most efficient and cost effective way. As a Charterer, the main objective is to reduce the costs of product transportation through obtaining and negotiating the best possible rates in the market, alongside finding a top quality of deliverance by reducing the risk of any delays and other obstacles that might affect the company’s rapport with the customer.
This is achieved by becoming an active link through communicating and building productive relationships internally with the Chartering Team, Trading Team, Operation Schedulers, Quality Assurance Team and Freight & Demurrage Team; and externally with the Brokers and Ship Owners.
- Work and plan with traders, operations, and chartering manager to develop annual shipping strategy
- Review trading strategies periodically with chartering manager and operation’s lead, as well as, monitor and adjust positions based on risk and trading limits
- Negotiate, decide, and validate shipping deals, alongside finalising charter terms and execute the deals
- Input transaction details into the system and ensure accuracy of any given terms
- Interact with ship owners and brokers to obtain intelligence in order to develop a forward view of the shipping market and identify opportunities leading to lower chartering rates
- Coordinate with traders and operation’s schedulers to obtain and confirm vessel chartering requests
- Communicate with ship owners and brokers in regards of contractual terms and conditions changes, and work with the freight and demurrage team to resolve contractual misunderstanding on a timely basis
- Check trades, terms, banking details and other critical specifics for any errors and corrects them
- Perform other duties as directed by the Manager
Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor degree in Business, Economics or equivalent
- A degree in Maritime Operations is preferred
- 5 to 8 years of experience in shipping logistics and chartering (freight/shipping)
- Keep abreast of world demand and supply and the market’s dynamics
- A broad network consisting brokers and ship-owners
- Good industry knowledge of international product and shipping market, ship chartering process, supply/demand fundamentals of freight markets, third party system parameters and the market’s competitors.
How to apply
If you believe you meet the requirements for this role, please contact us with your CV stating your experience as well as current & expected salary.