We are seeking an Aromatics Complex Process Specialist to join the Downstream Process Engineering Division of the Process & Control Systems Department.
The Downstream Process Engineering Division is responsible for providing process engineering support to Saudi Aramco and Saudi Aramco Joint Venture facilities.
The primary role of the Aromatics Complex Process Specialist is to provide process expertise in aromatics technologies in support of preliminary project evaluation, project and technology selection, design reviews, commissioning support, process troubleshooting, and process optimization.
As the successful candidate you will:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering from a recognized and approved program. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Have a minimum of 15 years of experience in refinery or petrochemical operations and engineering, including at least 10 years in complex aromatics technologies.
Have a minimum of 5 years of experience with technologies for the production of para-xylene from naphtha reformer derived feedstock, including para-xylene recovery (either selective adsorption or crystallization or both), xylenes isomerization, and transalkylation.
- Be able to demonstrate a solid understanding of Simulated Moving Bed technologies for selective adsorption and to explain and teach that understanding to others.
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience with technologies for the extraction of aromatics, either from reformate or pyrolysis gasoline feedstocks, using extractive distillation (ED) or liquid/liquid extraction (LLE).
- Have experience with more than one operating facility is strongly desirable, as is experience with more than one process licensor technology.
- Have a solid background in the comparison of alternative technologies for aromatics, including the advantages and disadvantages of aromatics extraction using ED versus LLE, para-xylene recovery using selective adsorption versus crystallization, and ideally you will understand the impact of Light Desorbent selective adsorption against Heavy Desorbent selective adsorption.
- Be able to demonstrate a solid understanding of the impact of new aromatics technologies from all major licensors and their potential application to Saudi Aramco assets.
- Ideally, you will also have some background in the technical impact of aromatics derived from steam cracking and understand the effects of using pygas in a conventional aromatics complex, as well as Toluene Methylation, Selective Toluene Disproportionation, and Ethylbenzene extraction.
- Possess strong mentorship skills with the ability and drive to guide the development of junior aromatics complex process engineers as well as strong teaching abilities.
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to summarize and explain complex processes and technologies in terms suitable for economic evaluations and strategic management decision making. Ideally you would have authored publications or patents in the field of aromatics technologies.
Duties & responsibilities
You will be required to perform the following:
- Conduct process configuration/feasibility studies for aromatics complexes and technologies
- Participate in the development and review of design basis scoping protocols for aromatics projects
- Maintain and review list of approved process licensor technologies for aromatics
- Review detailed designs for aromatics technologies
- Participate as process subject matter expert in PHA and HazOp reviews
- Support construction, commissioning, and startup of new aromatics facilities
- Support post-commissioning troubleshooting and optimization of aromatics facilities
- Organize Technical Exchange Meetings, Community of Practice Workshops, and other knowledge sharing activities for aromatics
- Coordinate vendor training courses, develop and teach new aromatics courses
- Develop and update Best Practice documents for aromatics technologies
How to apply
If you believe you meet the requirements for this role, please contact us with your CV and state AAS - "Job Title" in the subject.